Sunday, January 6, 2008

HOPE FAITH LOVE


“Life is an incredible, indescribable journey, taking turns when we least expect them, causing us to be drawn into a sense of wonder. “I already know that!” you would say; but something that I doubt you know, dear reader, is this: Sometimes very small incidents completely change our outlook towards life and never fail to touch every chord of our hearts.
Okay, so this so-called story starts when I was in Pune, at my Grandmother’s place, holidaying after slogging for my I.C.S.E. Board Examinations. I was so confused as to what subjects to take, which school to join (the details of which I would relate in my next story) and what would be the perfect career option for me.
Therefore, I decided to seek advice from a Career Counselor at K.E.M. Hospital, Pune. I gave a number of Aptitude Tests during a six-day session. My Counselor, Dr. Patni was actually a Clinical Psychologist working in the Child Rehabilitation Centre of the Hospital.
Every day someone or the other came to talk about the condition of a physically handicapped or mentally challenged child. Someone spoke of a little boy who did not stop gritting his teeth, another of extremely low I.Q., and a girl who would never fold her arms and always held them outstretched. All I did was to concentrate on my ‘Reasoning Test’ and control myself from asking questions about people who were complete strangers to me.
Then one day, while I was racking my brains hard to solve a test called ‘Spatial Reasoning,’ a smart, tall lady in a white coat walked in. She said, “I doubt if he’ll ever be healthy again. He is in such immense pain that he has gone into deep depression. Moreover, because of all the sedative drugs, he’s always so drowsy that he doesn’t even wish to speak with us. Deep down, in my heart of hearts, I know he has lost all hope.”
I so wanted to ask who this boy was and why he was so depressed, but I kept shut. That evening, my aunt gave me two mauve ‘LIVESTRONG’ bands (they’re a cool fashion statement, you see). One said ‘PEACE’ and the other, ‘HOPE FAITH LOVE’. Next morning, I woke up early, got ready, wore the bands in my left hand and left for the hospital for my last session. On the way, my eyes fell upon the message on the bands and in a flash, an entirely new meaning of those words dawned on me. I didn’t need to think twice, I knew just what I had to do.
And so, after a super interesting test on ‘Mechanical Reasoning,’ I stuttered, “Doctor, I know you’ll find this really odd, but I really have to tell you. Yesterday, when you were talking about that boy in depression, I wanted to know more. But I know, that’s none of my business. However, I would like you to give this band to him. It says ‘HOPE FAITH LOVE’ and I hope it helps him.
She then told me that he was not a little boy (as I had presumed) but a married man who had become a victim of circumstances. He and his wife did not have any biological children so they adopted a girl. But soon after this, his kidneys failed and he went through a successful kidney transplant. However, before he could even heave a sigh of relief, he was diagnosed with severe septic arthritis. The result: A shortened right leg and several months of agony in the hospital ward. And then in her usual pleasant manner, the counselor said , “Don’t worry, I’ll give this to him…I’m sure it will give him the strength to fight…”
And so after this, I toured the entire rehabilitation centre. There was an Audiology Centre, a Physiotherapy Department, a Speech Training Centre and a Counseling Section, all complete with the latest equipment. The most awe-inspiring department was the Physiotherapy Room where these handicapped children were taught how to walk, control their movements, and perfect their hand and eye co-ordination. A seven year old who was learning to walk with the help of crutches, stumbled. Instantaneously, I rushed to help him stand up, but the nurse standing there, prevented me from doing so. And to my surprise, he confidently got up and struggled yet once again.
That night I thought: What was it that made these children so brave? I have everything that it takes to be happy- a healthy body, a sound mind, and a loving family to support me in times of need…yet, all I seem to be doing is complain, complain and complain some more. But these children despite being less gifted were so happy.
And then I realized how foolish I was being by calling them ‘less gifted’. Because, although they were not as healthy as me, they were indeed ‘more gifted’ in the ‘courage department.’ They had taught me the secret formula of happiness, which is: Life’s too short to fuss over minor things and later have regrets only because we lacked strength to fight, to move on, and to reach out for the ‘unreachable star.’
And so as I sit here, typing out this simple, first-hand experience, I think about those children, that special day, the meaning of ‘HOPE FAITH LOVE,’…slowly drowning into the sea called Nostalgia.

2 comments:

Rishab Gupta said...

awesum!!!really inspiring yaar!!

Unknown said...

very inspiring indeed...amazing mridul...thumbs up!!!!!!!